Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi’s Name To Be Cleared By His Son Ali …
Greg Lance – Watkins
‘The world will know he’s innocent’: Lockerbie bomber’s son launches fresh appeal to clear his father’s name claiming he has new evidence
- Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi was found guilty in 2001 of planting bomb which destroyed a Pan-Am jumbo jet over southern Scotland in 1988
- Now his son Ali, backed the British relatives of those who died in the atrocity, is to ask Scottish authorities to declare the conviction a miscarriage of justice
- Megrahi’s family have also now formally become part of the appeal process
The son of the Libyan convicted of the Lockerbie bombing is launching a fresh appeal to clear his father’s name and has declared: ‘The world will know he is innocent.’Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi was found guilty in 2001 of planting the bomb which destroyed a Pan-Am jumbo jet over southern Scotland in 1988 – killing 270 people in the worst act of mass murder ever carried out on British soil.Now his son Ali, backed by his family and the British relatives of those who died in the atrocity, is to ask Scottish authorities to declare his father’s conviction a miscarriage of justice.
Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi (pictured left) was found guilty in 2001 of planting the bomb which destroyed a Pan-Am jumbo jet over southern Scotland in 1988. Now his son Ali (right) is to ask Scottish authorities to declare his father’s conviction a miscarriage of justice
Within weeks, the son of the man who came to be known as the Lockerbie Bomber, will present a dossier of documents and new evidence to the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC).He said: ‘We believe as a family that my father is innocent. My father knew he would die one day, so he gave us all the evidence for his case and it is with me right now.‘Injustice is there to see, because there is new evidence that has never been handed to the court of Scotland or any other place.‘I want the opening of the case again, and we are ready to give all the new evidence from start to finish and the world will know that my father is innocent.
The bomb killed 270 people and is the worst act of mass murder ever carried out on British soil
The freed Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al Megrahi is surrounded by his sons and grandsons and hugged by his mother and daughter at home in Tripol. The new appeal is backed by Mr Al Megrahi’s family and the British relatives of those who died in the atrocityI want to tell the victims of the massacre and the people living in Lockerbie: ‘I want you to give him a chance so that you will know the truth.’‘The evidence that will be put forward to the court will show the innocence of my father.”Megrahi’s son added that the case would be re-opened ‘pretty soon’.After being found guilty of the bombing, Megrahi served his sentence in a Scottish jail.
New evidence will cast doubt on a fragment of circuit board (pictured) said to be part of a timing device sold only to Libya by arms manufacturersFrom prison he referred his case to the SCCRC – which ruled in 2007 that there were several grounds for considering there may have been a miscarriage of justice.But despite the apparent vindication he had received from the SCCRC, Megrahi – who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer – dropped his appeal. Soon afterwards he was controversially freed from jail on compassionate grounds and flown back to his native Libya, where he died in May 2012.Campaigners including Dr Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora was among the passengers killed when the Pan-Am flight was blown out of the sky, tried to persuade the SCCRC to re-open the case in a bid to overturn Megrahi’s conviction posthumously.But the SCCRC ruled it could only look at the case again if Megrahi’s family formally became part of the appeal process – which is now happening, the Scottish Mail on Sunday can reveal.In November, Scottish lawyer Aamer Anwar flew to Zurich with Dr Swire to meet Megrahi’s son Ali and widow Aisha to collect documents relating to the appeal and to Megrahi’s estate.Last night Mr Anwar declined to discuss the case, saying only that it was at ‘a sensitive stage’.
Remains of Pan Am 103. For three years Police Scotland has also been running an Operation Sandwood investigation into claims that Crown officials, police officers and expert witnesses acted illegally to secure Megrahi’s convictionBut Dr Swire confirmed the case is progressing. He said: ‘I’m starting to believe that by the 30th anniversary in December 2018, we must have progress. With Baset’s family now able to prove it is on board, I really believe the justice system has nowhere to hide.‘The commission cannot go back on its findings of a decade ago that there may have been a miscarriage of justice, and there is an absolute avalanche of fresh forensic information that will destroy a case already picked apart ten years ago.’
Maltese shopkeeper Tony Gaucci’s (pictured) claim that Megrahi bought clothes packed in the suitcase around the bomb has since been discreditedMegrahi’s oldest son, Khaled, said: ‘I know that one day the truth must go out. The last words my dad said were that one day God will show the truth.’Pan Am 103 blew up over Lockerbie on 21 December 1988 killing all 259 on board and 11 people in the town.At first suspicion fell on Palestinian terrorists, possibly acting for Iran as retaliation for the shooting down of an Iranian Airbus by the US.But the focus of investigators later switched to Libya – in particular former intelligence agent Megrahi and his colleague at Libyan Arab Airlines, Lamen Khalifa Fhimah.In 1999, Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi handed the pair over for trial under Scots Law in a special court in the Netherlands on the former US base at Camp Zeist.In January 2001, three judges, sitting without a jury, cleared Fhimah but found Megrahi guilty of mass murder.For the past three years Police Scotland has also been running an Operation Sandwood investigation into claims that Crown officials, police officers and expert witnesses acted illegally to secure Megrahi’s conviction.Yesterday the SCCRC said: ‘We do not currently have an application in this case.’ The Crown Office said that as papers had not yet been lodged it had nothing to say.‘We believe as a family my father is innocent. The justice system has nowhere to hide’
To view the original of this article CLICK HERE
Posted by: Greg Lance-Watkins
tel: 44 (0)1594 – 528 337
Calls from ‘Number Withheld’ phones Are Blocked
All unanswered messages are recorded.
Leave your name & a UK land line number & I will return your call.
‘e’Mail Address: Greg_L-W@BTconnect.com
DO MAKE USE of LINKS,
The Top Bar >PAGES<
ABOUT ME, Details & Links: CLICK HERE
Accuracy & Copyright Statement: CLICK HERE
UKIP Its ASSOCIATES & DETAILS: CLICK HERE
Summary & archive, facts & comments on Ukip: http://Ukip-vs-EUkip.com
General ‘Stuff’: http://GL-W.com
Leave-The-EU Referendum & BreXit Process CLICK HERE
Documents, Essays & Treaties: CLICK HERE
The Hamlet of Stroat: CLICK HERE
Data & The Study of a Wind Turbine Application: CLICK HERE
Health Blog.: CLICK HERE
Chepstow Chat: CLICK HERE
Christopher Story: CLICK HERE
Des Watkins DFC; CdeG: CLICK HERE/
Hollie Greig etc.: CLICK HERE
Psycheocracy: CLICK HERE
The McCann Case: CLICK HERE
The Speculative Society of Edinburgh: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Dunblane: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Bloggers: CLICK HERE
Views I respect & almost Totally Share: CLICK HERE
A Concept of Governance Worthy of Developement: CLICK HERE
- I NEVER post anonymously on the internet
- ALL MY BLOGS & WEB SITES are clearly sourced to me
- I do NOT use an obfuscated eMail address to hide behind
- I do NOT use or bother reading FaceBook
- I DO have a Voice Mail Message System
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to answer identifiable eMails
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to phone back identifiable UK Land Line Messages
- I do NOT accept phone calls from witheld numbers
- I Regret due to BT in this area I have a rubbish Broadband connection
- I AM opposed to British membership of The EU
- I AM opposed to Welsh, Scottish or English Independence within an interdependent UK
- I am NOT a WARMIST
- I do NOT believe the IPCC Climate Propaganda re Anthropogenic Global Warming
- I AM strongly opposed to the subsidy or use of failed technologies eg. WIND TURBINES
- I AM IN FAVOUR of rapid research & development of NEW NUCLEAR technologies
- I see no evidence to trust POLITICIANS at any level or of any persuasion
- I do NOT believe in GODS singular or plural, Bronze Age or Modern
- I value the NHS as a HEALTH SERVICE NOT a Lifestyle support
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial or GBH rape.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial, terrorist, mass or for pleasure murder.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial gross child abuse including sexual.
- I do NOT trust or believe in armed police
- I do NOT believe in prolonging human life beyond reasonable expectation of sentient participatory intellectual existence
- I believe in EUTHENASIA under clearly defined & legal terms
- I try to make every effort to NOT infringe copyrights in any commercial way & make all corrections of fact brought to my attention by an identifiable individual
Re-TWEET my Twitterings
& Publicise My Blogs
To Spread The Facts World Wide