#G352e* – KIPLING, Rudyard – The Reeds of Runnymede
The Reeds of Runnymede
Magna Charta, June 15, 1215
- AT Runnymede, at Runnymede,
- What say the reeds at Runnymede?
- The lissom reeds that give and take,
- That bend so far, but never break.
- They keep the sleepy Thames awake
- With tales of John at Runnymede.
- At Runnymede, at Runnymede,
- Oh, hear the reeds at Runnymede:–
- “You musn’t sell, delay, deny,
- A freeman’s right or liberty.
- It wakes the stubborn Englishry,
- We saw ’em roused at Runnymede!
- “When through our ranks the Barons came,
- With little thought of praise or blame,
- But resolute to play the game,
- They lumbered up to Runnymede; ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~And there they launched in solid line
- The first attack on Right Divine–
- The curt, uncompromising ‘Sign!’
- That settled John at Runnymede.
- “At Runnymede, at Runnymede,
- Your rights were won at Runnymede!
- No freeman shall be fined or bound,
- Or dispossessed of freehold ground,
- Except by lawful judgment found
- And passed upon him by his peers.
- Forget not, after all these years,
- The Charter signed at Runnymede.”
- And still when Mob or Monarch lays
- To rude a hand on English ways,
- The whisper wakes, the shudder plays,
Across the reeds at Runnymede.
- And Thames, that knows the moods of kings,
- And crowds and priests and suchlike things,
- Rolls deep and dreadful as he brings
Their warning down from Runnymede!
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821),
for all my contact details & Blogs: CLICK HERE
British Politicians with pens and treachery, in pursuit of their own agenda and greed, have done more damage to the liberty, freedoms, rights and democracy of the British peoples than any army in over 1,000 years.
The disastrous effects of British politicians selling Britain into the thrall of foreign rule by the EU for their own personal rewards has damaged the well-being of Britain more than the armies of Hitler and the Franco – German – Italian axis of 1939 – 1945.