I received the Blog from Steve White last night just as he was heading to round Cape Horn after 77 days on the solo round the World Vendee Globe Open 60 Race.

I’ve derived vicarious pleasure from Steve’s struggles for several years now, as he is aided/supported by an old and close friend. I remember trying to get him publicity a couple of years ago and tracking a Canadian sail journalist through my friend Daniel Foggo who went with him on one Ocean race.

77 Days ago Steve set out to sail/race around the planet solo! Down to the wire was a challenge as it was not until a mere few days before that we were certain Toe In The Water would sponsor Steve and without a key sponsor there would be no race!

In the last hours there was no sleep for his support team as they were still buying supplies!

Now YOU can share the adventure in The Blog – Rounding the Horn isn’t just a sailing feat it is engineering, mechanics, exhaustion, fear, danger, TERROR, logistics and so much more!

pic by Mark Lloyd nicked from White Ocean Racing 🙂

Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 1:47 PM
Subject: Blog 19 – 01 – 09
I am sitting here “clock watching”, or watching the time to the waypoint on the electronic chart to be more accurate – not something I ever do when at sea except for when I’m doing corporate sailing days and your timing has to be perfect. Ninety four miles to the Horn.

The sea state here is pretty grim, it’s like giant version of Portland Race – the depth goes from over four thousand metres to two hundred in around thirty miles, but just a bit further round the shelf it is even steeper and makes the same transition in twelve miles – that would be quite a hill if it was on dry land! All the uninterupted might of the Southern Ocean, its winds and current, banks up here and gives an odd “heaped” sea state. The poor old pilot is working overtime as the boat gets screwed around by the waves, (I just had one break in the cockpit!) and the wind is gusting from twenty two to thirty four knots, with shifts in the gusts.

On top of it all, seawater has just got into the pilot remote controls on the tillers, making the autopilot continually change course of it’s own accord, only in one degree increments, but pretty rapidly, which is really very alarming! Every time I turned around it was tryng to gybe – I got to a true wind angle 179 degrees at one point! I had to head up, rush through the boat into the lazerette, open the junction box, cut the wires one at a time to the remotes, and get back to the pilot controls to change course again! Hectic! Luckily I knew what it was straight away as it has happened before, but it still made me nervous – you don’t need pilot problems here I can tell you. I was still pretty wired when the BBC called for an interview ten minutes later, I had to phone back and explain myself afterwards, I was talking pretty quickly like some sort of gabbling cartoon character and still nervously watching the pilot!

Last time I wrote I thought I was in the clear and on the last lap, but there were a couple of what I hope will be the final twists before I round Cape Horn at about 2100 GMT tonight; the first was when I looked up out of my window at first light and saw the rig twisting. Normally this is because when you go downwind with the sails eased too far they can push on the spreaders which is a bad thing, but I don’t sail like that, and when I saw some really funny saggy creases in the main as well then I knew I had a problem. I dashed out on deck to look and the main was not attached to the track at the top, the top car, the headboard car, had broken! I got the main down in a hurry because once one car goes, they can all go like a broken zip.

There are fifteen cars that run up and down the track on the back of the mast which the mainsail goes up and down on. Each car has sixty to eighty little plastc ball bearings in to help it run smoothly, but the headboard cars remained jammed on the track up at the top spreaders. The sea state was really chaotic, and it was actually difficult to stand up on deck with no main to steady the boat, so after some delibertion I decided a mast climb could wait until after Cape Horn and flat water. I tried to rig up various things to snag the cars from on deck but they are designed to be smooth and snag free, so that wasn’t going to happen, so then I pulled another car up on the halliard and tried to tap them and see if they would come down – all that happened was I sent them further up the mast, above the top spreader and into the real “No-mans Land” where it is difficult to climb because there’s nothing to hold on to.

I was pretty despairing at that point….then I had some inspiration! After trying to get them down all day, why didn’t I just send them up out of the way? There is spare track at the top, so that’s what I did, and there they will stay. There is no damage to the track itself luckily, I think the cars had got distorted and pinched the balls onto the track tightly enough to stop gravity doing its thing! I spent the rest of the night taking the main off, taking all the cars off, and putting two new cars on at the top for the headboard, and putting them all back on again. The boat was rolling like a pig, and no matter how careful I was there were balls everywhere – it was a bit like one of those games you used to get at Christmas where you have to get several balls into several holes all at once!

Then I found that the aluminium plate which forms the bottom bearing of the gooseneck had broken free where it is welded to the mast base, so I had to winch and beat that back into place and bolt it through the deck (drilling through 10mm of aluminium and 15mm of solid carbon with a blunt drill from underneath with the boat rolling was not easy!) but by 0600 we were up and running with two reefs in again, and I went to bed! I was pretty tired by then because I had been up a lot of the previous night after having to jump start the engine from the domestic batteries to charge the flat engine and generator start battery, so I could then start the generator! The generator was not charging the start battery because an important component had not been wired up, but first I had to faut find, and there was no mention of this part in the manual. Only occasional use of the engine to pump water ballast had been keeping the shared start battery charged!s

To top it all, I had a really bad stomach – there’s a funny story in that though; when I bought the boat, the watermaker had been left with seawater in it, and they are supposed to be stored with a biocide and cleaner to keep them in good condition. I thought after two years it would be a bin job, but Jim MacDonald from Mactra said it would be fine, just run it! Phew, what a smell! Rotten eggs!! I bought it a new membrane, and bought a brand new watermaker as a spare and thought that would see me round the world. Twenty four hours before the start, the watermaker was untouched.

When Chris Ross who owns SpecDepot, one of our sponsors, came on board our conversation went something like, “Hi, I’m Chris, what can I do to help?” “Ah” said I, “What do you know about watermakers? This membrane needs to go in here somehow….” and the rest is history. He sorted it, I got a working watermaker but some very unclean pipes! I was bad all the way down the Atlantic until I finally told Kim – she said “Are you boiling your water?” – I told her I didn’t need to as watermaker water was pure…. as soon as started drinking boiled water I was fine of course. A mass sterilisation ensued, and several billion algea and bacteria were evicted – they came out in lumps, yuck, but I must have missed one, just one, and an a-sexual one too unfortunately, so I am back on boiled water again but feeling fine!

Steve White

To follow The Vendee Globe CLICK HERE

To Follow Steve & White Ocean Racing CLICK HERE

Visit the sponsors who help injured Military CLICK HERE

The odds against which Steve has won so far are huge and out of over 30 boats that started out Steve has probably the least sponsorship and the oldest boat! Out of only 12 boats that are still in the race currently Steve is 9th. as he Rounds The Horn!


Politicians are failing to tell the truth, but so are almost all wanabe Politicians and Snivil Cervants.

The fact is that even if EVERY British MEP wanted change in The EU it would achieve NOTHING.

Every single British Politician of EVERY Party, elected since before we joined the EUropean Common Market, has promised to change The EU’s CAP – In 40 Years they have achieved absolutely NOTHING!

To try to put a value on OUR Freedom is as futile as floccipaucinihilipilification and as odious as the metissage of our societies, as we rummage in the ashes of our ancestors dreams, sacrifices and achievements, the flotsam of our hopes and the jetsam of our lives, Country and Anglosphere which we leave our children and the future.

Greg L-W.
01291 – 62 65 62


I SUGGEST – since there is clearly no political party of repute, advocating or campaigning for withdrawal of these United Kingdoms from the EU and restoration of our independent sovereign, democracy, with Justice & the right to self determination in a free country.Deny the self seeking & meaningless wanabe MEPs the Mythical Mandate for which they clamour. Diktat is imposed from The EU but Law should be made at Westminster, for our Country & our Peoples.

Write Upon Your Ballot Paper: